Monday, December 9, 2013

First Chemo

I realize I am LONG overdue for an update. My excuse is being diagnosed with breast cancer doesn't make the rest of your life stop. I am still mom to a very active fairly demanding 2 year old. I am still a wife. I still have a home and laundry.  I still have to work, though, clearly not full time.  I am still pregnant.  Juggling all these plus the side effects of chemo is difficult at best. I have much to say--but will spare you all of it in one post and will catch you up over the next few days.

Monday, November 25th, 9:00 am my first Chemo treatment. I was 18 weeks pregnant.  I was very nervous, mainly because it was a big unknown. My port was still very sore, and I was worried how that was going to feel.  And then of course, what were the medicines like.  The whole thing a mystery.  My husband and I showed up at the hospital infusion center and checked in. We were asked to take a seat in the waiting room.  We sat. We waited, not sure for who or what.  A few minutes later a wonderful nurse came out to get us.  She knew everything about me, and most importantly that it was my first time.  She was patient and answered every question I had with clear answers.  No sugar coating of the hard answers--which seems to be the protocol here.  I like it, most of the time.

I take 3 medicines.  This first treatment was a little different, as I would all the medicines in one sitting because it's Thanksgiving week.  After this, I will have two medicines at the infusion center and the 3rd will be infused over 3 days. I will wear a pump home and return 24 hours later to have it refilled.

The nurse cleaned the skin over the port.  The steri-strips and glue (instead of stitches) were still in place.  She used a solution to remove the steri-strips and sterilize the area.  Then, the needle.  I was very nervous but it hurt FAR less then getting a poke anywhere else.  I was very very happy, and figured it will only get better when the area is less sore.  Before they give you the chemo drugs they give you 2 powerful anti-nausea drugs, one of which is paired with a steroid that improves its effectiveness.  Once those are in, the chemo begins.  For no real reason I was nervous.  I know as the drug goes in it won't hurt, and I won't immediately feel the effects but it hits home.  I am starting chemo.  I have breast cancer and I am pregnant.   Its a realization I think will hit me at different moments over the coming months. I am still in shock, so wondering how this became my life?  How did I become one of those numbers? How did I become one of those pregnant with cancer?  There are a surprising number of us. Clearly we aren't the majority, but my oncologist has treated 6 pregnant women with breast cancer in the last 15 months alone.  A very high number, higher than average.  It concerns her.  But, how did I become one of those?  How is missing work day after day for different tests and different doctors appointments my new life? How is my baby? Will I be able to eat healthy enough to keep up with his/her needs?  Endless questions--most with no answer.

My husband and I decided to watch a movie as the drugs dripped in.  We watched on the I-pad.  The  nurse coming and going.  Part way through my oncologist came by to check on me.  She hadn't even finished the sentence, "How are you?" when I burst out sobbing. She walked away to give me a minute.  She came over and we talked for a few minutes.  It was nice. I am blessed with an amazing team.

Several people asked if I had gotten a second opinion, and to be honest it hadn't crossed my mind.  They were very clear about the aggressiveness of my cancer and the urgency with which i needed to start treatment.  But, I decided to ask my oncologist if I should have gotten a second opinion.  She said she did it for me. There are only a handful of oncologists in the area that treat pregnant women with cancer. They all talk about all of their cases and they all collaborate and work with MD Anderson in Texas.  It was nice to know.

Finally, 5 hours later, we were finished.  It won't take this long in the future, a lot of questions and discussions lengthened the process.  I felt fine.  Hungry. My husband and I decided to go to Olive Garden.  We had a wonderful late lunch and headed home.  It was a strange day.  Clearly a huge day in my life, but it passed so uneventfully it was strange.  That evening i was more tired then normal, but that could be stress or pregnancy.  I played with my son and we all went to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment